Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rachel Mae is 5 months old



Little Miss Picky
Rachel is starting to have her own personality. Although she has not started on solid foods yet, she had become little miss picky. She is mostly breastfed, but usually takes around 8 ounces of formula a day for supplementation. Well, just after her 4 month check up with her pediatrician Rachel decided she didn't want to take formula. First I passed it off a comfort thing: she just received her immunizations and was acting ornery and wouldn't take the bottle. After a couple of days I expected her to be back to her routine eating schedule, but she continued to refuse the bottle of formula. At that point she had a cough and stuffy nose so I decided to wait that through. After a week and a half she still would not take the bottle of formula! Was it the bottle she was refusing or the formula? We bought a new bottle with a different nipple. No success. Then I gave her breast milk in a bottle and she guzzled that down. So I knew she was rejecting the formula, not the bottle. I watched her wet diapers decrease dramatically over the week and a half and her fist almost lived in her mouth...

Do you think she could get that thing in any farther????
I thought for sure at some point she would be HUNGRY enough to drink the stupid formula.
But NO!
So I called the pediatrician's office for some advise. They brilliantly suggested to mix the breast milk and the formula together. So we tried 3/4 breast milk and 1/4 formula...SUCCESS!! Then continued on 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula....SUCCESS. Then 2/3 formula and 1/3 breast milk...SUCCESS!!! And that is as far as she will allow. Any bigger ratio or breast milk to formula is denied. But at least now I can keep her fed and content. Hopefully she'll allow me to go back to regular formula at some point.


Laughing
It is so cute to see my baby girl laugh. And Tyler loves to be a ham and make her laugh. In this video clip Tyler's not doing much, but she is just laughing up a storm.




Rolling over
Rachel has figured out how to roll. Unfortunately we missed the first 3 occasions. We would leave her on her back and when we come in the room she would be on her stomach. Jeff was the lucky one to be the first to witness her roll over. But she has rolled over numerous times now for all of us to see.


2 comments:

Jackie Abeyta said...

LOVE that cute little laugh!!!! What an adorable niece I have :) Can't wait to see you all in March!

Michal Thompson said...

Good advice. I know I will need to reread this when I am trying to get mine to take a bottle. My other three never wanted anything to do with one!