Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pink

I am so excited!  Yesterday Rachel said "Pink" with a "P"!!!
Rachel has been in speech therapy the last 5 months, and the speech therapist pointed out that she assimilates nasal sounds (m's and n's) at the beginning of the word if they appear later in the word.  So Rachel says "mincess" instead of "princess", "mumbo" instead of "dumbo", "anain" instead of "again", "allnone" instead of "allgone", and "mink" instead of "pink".  Assimilating nasal sounds is an atypical pattern that the speech therapist wants Rachel to overcome before she graduates from speech therapy along with a few other things we are working on.

So yesterday out of the blue Rachel called something "pink" instead of "mink" I was elated!!  I had her repeat it to make sure it wasn't just a fluke, and she said "pink" correct every time.  So I had her say "princess" several times, and she even said princess with a "p" half the time!  All the other words I tested out she said like she normally does with the extra nasal sounds, but I am so excited about her progress.  Yeah!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Rachel!
Love,
Grandpa & Grandma D. & Aunt Sara