Friday, August 19, 2011

Camping

So our ward had a ward camp out this summer.  My first reaction: Jeff is working, so I think I'll pass.  It sounds like a lot of work to do by myself.  But then my friend, Marcia, said her husband was working that night too and she was looking for an adventurous soul to go with.  So we planned to share her ten man tent.  Jeff's sister, Sara, was visiting at the time and agreed to join in on the fun.

The day of the campout I get a phone call: Marcia decided she wanted to go up for the evening, but then go home and sleep in her own bed.  I had already packed our sleeping bags, pj's, clothes, etc. so I decided to continue with the plan to camp overnight.  Marcia graciously said we could still use her 10 man tent (which was great so I could fit Rachel's pack-and-play in there and keep her contained.)

Marcia, Angie, and I caravaned to the camp site and we were the first ones at there.  We got started right away putting up the 10 man tent.  And let me tell you...a ten man tent isn't really the easiest tent in the world to set up.  But I think we did a pretty good job.  Unfortunately, it was REALLY windy after we set up the tent and one of the sides of the tent kept collapsing  (there was a joint that was slightly broken which was causing the problem.)  Then finally the tent had enough and when the wind came again the joint completely broke beyond use/repair. 
So the tent came down.  Luckily by that time there were several other ward members at the campsite who were kind enough to help us take down the huge tent. 

The other good thing...I had packed my 4 man tent in case someone needed it.  Little did I know that I would be the one needing it.  So up went the 4 man tent.  Thankfully Sara was there to watch the kids while all this was happening!

It was about 7 by this time and I was hungry! So Sara, Tyler, Rachel, and I sat down to our meal of sandwiches.  (In my defense there was a fire ban until that day, so I didn't think there would be a way to cook a hot dog or a tinfoil dinner.)  I had only taken a bite or two when Rachel starts throwing up.  Again and again and again. 

By this time I was feeling discouraged.  What a great trip this turned out to be!  Putting up a tent to have it break, to take it town, to put up another tent, to have my daughter get sick and puke everywhere.  And now I guess I can take down yet another tent and pack up and go home.  

So I cleaned Rachel up and put her in new clothes, and then cleaned myself up and put on new clothes.  In the process I started thinking, maybe Rachel isn't sick.  She's been acting fine all day.  Throwing up came out of no where.  Two days ago she did the same thing.  She had thrown up out of nowhere and then was fine the rest of the night.  I wondered if it was something she ate.  Two days ago when she threw up the only thing out of the ordinary that she had eaten was a piece of salt water taffy.  If she had another piece of salt water taffy, that might have caused her to throw up again.   So I found Sara, and sure enough, Sara said that Rachel had a piece of salt water taffy earlier.  So I reasoned, Rachel may not be sick, she might just has a upset stomach from the salt water taffy.

So we sit down to dinner again and Rachel is hungry and eats and keeps everything down.  She seemed to act 100% normal, so we stay.  We enjoyed the bonfire/fireside and slept in our tent.  The next morning the bishopric cooked everyone breakfast. 

Tyler and the other kids loved climbing in the tree.


The best part of the camping trip was the pioneer games we played that morning.  Tyler is bobbing for apples.

We both participated in the "pie" eating contest (consisting of oatmeal cream pies).


They had a water balloon launch, frog jumping contest, egg throwing contest, and a three legged race.  Tyler and I made a good team for the three legged race.  :)

The camping trip was definitely rough to begin with, but I'm glad we got to stay because it ended up being really fun.  Nonetheless, I think I got my camping fill until next summer.

2 comments:

Sara Danger said...

We are amazing campers, that is four show! Nice post Jamie :)

Michal Thompson said...

your tough, I would have packed up and gone home, used that throw up as an excuse.