Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Gift of Giving

This post is more of a journal entry, but here it is anyways. :)

I love the holiday season for many reasons: nativity stories, ho ho ho's, yummy treats, and mistletoe's, but most recently the holiday season has brought the Spirit of Giving.

This year our Relief Society have been giving to TESSA, which is a program that offers services to battered women and children. All year we have been collecting toys, clothes, gift cards, cleaning supplies, or whatever they need. All year we have been helping and serving them by gathering needed items. However, the vast majority of the Relief Society sisters have never been to TESSA (including me) nor witnessed first hand what they do.

I was excited to find out that volunteers were needed for TESSA's Santa Shop. I was glad to be able to actually go to TESSA and physically help them out. My friend, Angie, and I went to volunteer while Jeff watched the kids. (Thank you again!) Their Santa Shop had tons of toys divided by gender and age. We helped one lady that has 4 children. We helped her gather toys, books, coloring books, stuffed animals, pajamas, socks, hats, etc. And then at the end, Angie and I snuck in the back and picked out and wrapped a gift for her so she could have a present to open on Christmas too. It was so neat seeing her excitement as she was able to pick out Christmas gifts for her children. She was so grateful that she could give her children a Christmas that otherwise would not be available.

Volunteering at the Santa Shop really brought the spirit of giving. I enjoyed serving TESSA all year by donating, but the greatest reward was to go see the fruits of our labors and the gratitude and joy of the those receiving.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Reid said...

The Santa shop sounds like an awesome experience! I tried to reply to your email, but it said the delivery failed (it tried to deliver it for three days). Weird huh?