Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nightly Serenade

So as many of you moms know when you do something everyday day after day you get into a routine and you always know what comes next. i.e. for bedtime first we get pajamas on, then Tyler has to pick out his toothpaste to brush his teeth; after that he asks for a drink of water in the medicine cup we keep in the bathroom. If I try to get him into bed at this point, I know it won't work, because he will ask for the fan that is in our bedroom, so we bring that in and turn it on, then that reminds Tyler that we have to say prayers (because that's the order we've always done). But it's funny because if we forget to bring in the fan, we will forget to say family prayers. Like I said it's an order thing. Then give him "monkey, bear, and ellie" to sleep with, kiss him good night, and then he asks for a song. Usually he picks an object that he wants us to sing about, like an airplane, a train, or a star song. If we don't know a song about the object of desire, then we make one up as we go. The other night, instead of asking for a song about a train or a plane, he asked me to sing "Child of God". My heart melted. It's the little joys that make being a mommy rewarding.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I found your blog through Sharon and read this entry. We do the same thing...the nightly routine. I started tearing up as I read about Tyler asking for "Child of God". I've been singing that song to the boys for the last several months and now when we sing it at night they sing, um, mummble along with me. It's the greatest feeling in the World. Hey I also like your FHE link, we've been looking for some good ideas. Thanks I've added it to my favorites.

Michal Thompson said...

You will love it when Tyler starts singing that song to the next kid, that is a melter too!

Lisa said...

aaaaawww! that just pulled at my heart strings! What a cutie.

Camilla said...

How wonderful Jamie! The beauty and innocence of children remind us of our divinity.... love it! I've been noticing all of your updates on GoodReader. My, you do get in lots of reading these days! Wish I was buried in a good book. It's all text books these days, and even more so w/ 3 midterms coming up. ACK! Aren't you so glad you're done w/ this stuff?