Friday, April 10, 2015

Our move

I forgot to post this from last summer, so here it is a little late... (sorry it's long)

We knew when Jeff got the job with Delta that we would be moving. Delta doesn't have a pilot base in Colorado, and we don't want him to commute, so we knew we would move to where he is based. Most new hire pilots with Delta get based in New York, Detroit, or Atlanta.  We were excited to find out that Jeff would be based out of Atlanta! That was our top choice of the three. Marc, Ashleigh, and Alyssa live on the north side of Atlanta, so we were excited to be able to move by family.

In July Jeff flew to Atlanta to begin training with Delta. Training would take about 2 and a half months. Jeff would be busy learning to fly a new airplane and did not have time to look for a house or coordinate a move, so I took on most of the responsibility so we could relocate our family as soon as possible.  We flew my sister, Jessica, to Colorado to watch Tyler and Rachel while Matthew and I flew to look at houses in Atlanta.  Jeff and I looked in Peachtree City (south of Atlanta) and in Canton/Marrietta (north side of Atlanta).  We found a couple of houses that we thought might work for our family, but nothing panned out. It was a lot harder to house hunt with Matthew than I anticipated.  I ended up leaving Atlanta early.  The good this is I did get to see Atlanta for the first time, but unfortunately I left without finding a house that would work for us.  So Jeff's parents kindly offered to go to Atlanta to help us house hunt.  They found us our dream home.  A BEAUTIFUL house with a big back yard, right on a cul-de-sac, private lot, open floorplan, no basement, and it had a playroom, 5 bedrooms, and the list goes on and on.  Jeff was able to drive down and look at the house and they sent me tons of pictures.  The only drawback to the house was there is no community pool/tennis courts and no golf cart paths for the kids to ride their bikes on (which they have in Peachtree City).  But everything else was above and beyond.  We put  down an offer and got the house!  

Then we put our house on the market.  We staged it, had a professional photographer take pictures and videos, and our agent listed our house.  We had 3 people come to our house the first couple days and had 2 offers!  I was so glad I did not have to keep things show ready for very long.  


I began to pack and coordinate a cross country move all while Jeff was doing training with Delta.  Jeff's focus had to be passing training, so the house hunting, packing,and moving logistics were mostly on me.   We packed everything up and Grandma and Grandpa Dunbabin came out to help us do last minute packing, load the truck, and drive out to Atlanta.  I flew with Matthew and Rachel, Jeff drove with Tyler in the new minivan, and Grandma and Grandpa drove out the Kia.  

We were supposed to do a walk through of the house in Atlanta the day before we bought it, but when the fridge was 
installed, they scraped up the hardwood floors and had to resand and restain the hardwoods. No one was able to walk on it. (Since Jeff was in Atlanta, he did see the house before we put an offer on it.)  Jeff and I made the biggest purchase of our lives without me ever setting foot in the house (although we did peek in the windows the night before).

I remember driving down Wynnward Way for the first time.  I felt a little choked up when I saw our house. All the craziness of the last few months were coming to a close. It didn't really matter what the inside looked like. I was excited that we could be all together as a family again under one roof. This was the place where we would call home. Where Jeff, the kids and I would all be together and make new memories. OUR HOME!

Sep 2014


No comments: