We've know for a while that if I didn't go into labor on my own that I wanted to be induced on September 10th. My due date was September 11th, but I didn't want him born then because his birthday for the rest of his life would be September 11. And we didn't want him born the 9th since that was Rachel's birthday. I don't like the idea of going past my due date, so if I made it to the end, September 10th would be the day to be induced. My OBGYN called the hospital to set it up. When she got off the phone she said the good news is they are able to accommodate an elective induction on September 10th, the bad news is all the good times are gone. I would have to arrive at 5 a.m. to be induced. Yuck! I have not slept well the past month and I usually wake up between 4:30 and 5:30 unable to fall back asleep, so the only consolation was I wouldn't be waking up much earlier.
On September 9th we brought Rachel and Tyler to spend the night with Jada and Zoe so we would not have to bring them over at 4:30 the next morning. They were excited to have a sleep over and to have a baby brother the next day.
On September 10th we arrived at the hospital at 5:00 a.m. I was checked in, the IV was inserted, Pitocin started, and soon the contractions began (maybe around 6:30). I had a few contractions, but they weren't doing much, so my Pitocin was increased. I had a few more contractions and my OBGYN came in to check in on me at 7:20. She said she was on her way to a 2 hour surgery and would prefer not to have to leave the surgery to come to a delivery so she did not want to increase the Pitocin or speed things along. After she left contractions dwindled to cramps. So I laid in the hospital bed tired from waking up at 4 am, uncomfortable from the frequent cramps, and a little annoyed. We basically got up at 4 am to accommodate the hospital and now I'm not even laboring to accommodate the doctor. Jeff also was super tired from not sleeping well and his allergies were really bad that day. Amazingly he was able to sleep for a few minutes on the uncomfortable padded hospital bench while things were moving slow.
At 8:45 I got up to use the restroom. At 9:00 when I got back in bed the contractions came back. At 9:20 I decided the contractions were here to stay and they were starting to really hurt. I called my nurse for the epidural. Unfortunately, the anesthesiologist had just left for a C-section. I had to wait while they tried to locate another anesthesiologist. My nurse asked if I wanted some fentanyl in the mean time. Yes...the contractions were really starting to hurt! About 30 minutes later the anesthesiologist was finally available and able to give me an epidural. I was having a contraction while the anesthesiologist was placing the epidural but I wanted the medication ASAP so I was willing to stay still and hunched over so she could put it in. Unfortunately, the epidural did not offer the relief I was hoping for. I've had 2 other epidurals, so I know the relief they can provide, but this one was not cutting it...still lots of pain. After the epidural was in place my nurse checked and I was already 9 1/2 cm dilated! She called the doctor to come for a delivery. My nurse asked if I wanted another dose of fentanyl since I was still in a lot of pain to try and get the pain under control. The nurse in me immediately thought too much fentanyl causes chest wall rigidity. I don't want that to happen: I prefer to be able to breath. As the patient in pain I said, Yes! Give me more medicine...I need some relief! Soon the doctor arrived and I started pushing. Since I was still in a lot of pain I had extra motivation to push.
At 10:45 a.m. Matthew was born! They quickly wiped him down with a towel and handed him to me to hold. He wasn't very happy to enter this world. He cried and was fussy for the first 30 minutes or so after he was born. But we didn't mind... he was here and looked beautiful...he had all 10 fingers and all 10 toes and looked perfectly healthy. This is our first picture of baby, with me trying to console him:
As I said he wasn't too happy after he was born.
Later they cleaned him up a little better, did their neonatal assessment, wrapped him up in a warm blanket and handed him back to us. He was much happier at that point. I don't know if it was because he was clean or because he liked being wrapped up in a big warm blanket, but ever since then he has been a happy and content baby.
Pictures of mom and dad with baby:
After school, Tyler and Rachel came to the hospital to see their new baby brother. They were very excited to meet him and hold him.
We are very happy to welcome baby Matthew into our family!

1 comment:
Congratulations. He's such a pretty baby!!!
Post a Comment