A couple of months ago when our basement was being finished we were just about to start the painting stage. They had texturized the walls and all the windows and doors were taped and covered with plastic. As I was locking up that night I noticed both windows in the basement were unlocked behind the plastic and tape. I was able to lock one window easily without tearing off the covering, but the other window was finicky and would not lock. Since I couldn't get it to lock, I placed a bar in the track of the window so it could not be opened. Jeff was out of town and I was a little nervous about the window being unlocked, but figured it would be ok with the bar in the window track. Unfortunately, at 5 AM the next morning our alarm system triggers. My mind immediately goes to the window of the basement. I go to the alarm system and it says "line cut" which means the alarm system is no longer receiving signal from the phone system (it doesn't necissarily mean that someone actually cut the phone line). I didn't turn off the alarm because if by chance there was actually someone messing around with the phone line, I wanted them to realize they set off our alarm.
My heart was pounding and legs felt like jello as I walked downstairs to see if anything seemed awry. Every looked secure. I looked at the alarm system again and this time I noticed it no longer said "line cut" but now stated the "motion" had been tripped. Soon the alarm company calls to ensure that everything is all right. I let them know that our alarm was going off due to lost phone signal and then I went down stairs to check things out and tripped the motion alarm. Needless to say, with my heart and mind racing I didn't go back to sleep. (Somehow Rachel slept through the whole thing. I have no idea how since our alarm is super loud.) It was not a good day to start with jitters and nerves because later that day I sang a duet in Sacrament Meeting, which I get nervous enough for as it is. As a result of all the stress and nerves I developed both a canker sore and a cold sore that day.
The next night, Jeff was home so I figured I would sleep better. Unfortunately, Jeff wasn't feeling well (he thinks he thinks it was something he ate) and had tremendous stomach pains. He was up all night tossing and turning. Then he sat up in bed and let out a huge belch. Man, it stunk! Feeling a little better he laid back down in bed. No more than 30 seconds later we hear an alarm going off...this time it is our carbon monoxide/gas alarm in our bedroom. All the other alarms in the house are fine...our conclusion: Jeff's gaseous burp set off the alarm! We had to be careful the next couple days because if Jeff burped around the alarm, it would go off!
The next night I went to bed wondering which alarm would go off next. (luckily none did)

1 comment:
that was nerve wracking but funny, when i get super stressed I get cold sores too.
Post a Comment