Sunday, May 30, 2010

Happy belated Mother's Day and early Father's Day

This past month has been busy....i.e. going out of town, teaching 3 weeks of preschool, starting my new job, and running a household of coarse!

I'm a little behind on my blogging, but late is better than never. I never got a post up on mother's day, so here's one for mothers and fathers!

At General Conference it was amazing how many talks were devoted to families and teaching children. Kids are so impressionable and so teachable. I hope and pray the needful things are learned and those teaching moments are not passed by.


When I received the conference address I went through and read those articles related to parents and teaching children:
-Mothers and Daughters
-Help Them on Their Way Home
-Mothers Teaching Children in the Home
-Our Duty to God: The Mission of Parents and Leaders to the Rising Generation
-Mother Told Me
-Tell Me the Stories of Jesus


Here are some favorite thoughts:

"Parents must bring light and truth into their homes by one family prayer, one scripture study session, one family home evening, one book read aloud, one song, and one family meal at a time. They know that the influence of righteous, conscientious, persistent, daily parenting is among the most powerful and sustaining forces for good in the world. The health of any society, the happiness of its people, their prosperity, and their peace all find common roots in the teaching of children in the home."
L. Tom Perry




"Father, are you in there?" Robert D. Hales

"Mother...are you in there?" Robert D. Hales


"There is no substitute for seeing the gospel lived in our daily lives. The stripling warriors did not have to wonder what their parents believed. They said, 'We do not doubt our mothers know it'. Do our children know what we know?" Robert D. Hales

"Our most important and powerful assignments are in the family." Henry B. Eyring

"It is impossible to overestimate the influence of parents who understand the hearts of their children." Robert D. Hales

"A distraction doesn't have to be evil to be effective- sometimes it can just be shade." Bradley D. Foster




"Our challenge as parents and teachers is not to create a spiritual core in their souls but rather to fan the flame of their spiritual core already aglow with the fire of their premortal faith" Neil L. Anderson

The take home message I recieved was to teach these little ones. A parents influence is not only essential, but powerful. Help them understand the things of the heart.

2 comments:

Michal Thompson said...

what new job?

Meggan said...

I completely agree. I felt the same way after conference. What a doll your little one is becoming. Such a sweet family!