Monday, November 3, 2008

Potty Success

So Tyler is now potty trained. We started about 2 weeks ago. I had read the book "How to Potty Train Your Child in just one day"

I found it pretty helpful, although I didn't do exactly as they suggested. It has you potty train a new doll (we used a bear) the first half of the day. Bear has his own underwear and we took him to the potty every 15 minutes or so. Tyler loved getting stickers and treats every time bear went in the potty. Halfway through the day Tyler open a present with his very own Thomas and Cars underwear. He was so excited. We put them on and literally 20 seconds later the peed in his underwear. (I'm wondering if he just wanted to see what would happen). That day, he was only half successful. The next day he only made it in the toilet once. I began to wonder if maybe he's not going to go along with the potty training idea. However, over the course of the next few days he had NO ACCIDENTS! A big thanks to Jeff because I was gone half of day 3, all of day 4, and most of day 5 of potty training. So Jeff did most of the work. I think I planned that pretty well. I had been dragging my feet at the potty training idea since Tyler seemed to have absolutely NO interest in sitting on the potty. But he got excited about having his own underwear after potty training bear.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats to you and to Tyler! Hey, if you feel like you missed out on a few potty training moments since you were gone just come visit in a year and I'll let you potty train Austin!

Elizabeth Reid said...

(hands over my ears) la la la la la la la!!

I don't want to hear it! I've been trying for TEN MONTHS to potty train Ariana! I'm so jealous! Grrrrrr!!!

Michal Thompson said...

I love hearing that a man can potty train!!! I did Dylan when I was visiting my mom on my own and well Ashlyn- she is still a work in progress. Being potty trained is wonderful though, good work!

Camilla said...

WHOOT! It's quite an accomplishment and what a relief to get over this hurdle. We're still working with Rachel for night-training, but she's basically day-trained. Nice work! I used that same book a little bit too. I got lots of ideas from it, but like you, didn't do everything "by the book."